Sunday, January 3, 2010

Why Read 100 Books in One Year?

Because I love to read.

I love books. I love collecting books. I love reading them and re-reading them. I love writing. I love learning to be a better writer through reading. I love learning new things from books. I love traveling someplace fantastic in my mind.

Books are both wonderful old friends and exciting new acquaintances. For most of my life, I've turned to books for comfort, companionship, and knowledge. I have a wonderful husband and daughter, but there are so many other things I've never seen or done or experienced. In books, I can see all this. When Catherine Moreland tells Henry Tilney that gazing upon Beechen Cliff in Bath always puts her in mind of the south of France, a place she had only read about in The Mysteries of Udolpho, I know exactly what she means. There are people and worlds we will never meet, yet books can take us there.

I also love being a reader. I want to be a better one. As it is now, I read a fair share. Last year, I may have read 30 or 40 books. This year I know I can do better. I want to do better. After all, if the former president of the United States can do it (and I'm not entirely sure I believe he did, the position seems like it would leave very little free time for reading), then anyone can.

Other folks have done it before me. This nice lady for one. And others.

I love to read. Do you? Then join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment