Friday, January 22, 2010

#3 - Style

Style
By: Kate Spade
112 pages
Published: 2004
ISBN: 0743250672
My Copy: Borrowed from library.

There's not much to say about this book. It was okay. It didn't really help me hone or improve my style (which, I suppose, was my goal in reading it). There are some fun quotes inside and some interesting discussions, but overall it felt very much like I was reading a very elementary book about Kate Spade's style rather than something about how to create my own style.

The text is a mixture of lists, facts, and little snippets from Andy and Kate Spade. It appears to me that someone just interviewed Kate and her husband about "style" and then positioned quotes from her inside and slapped her name on the cover. The style tips are kind of half-hearted. There is a section on fashionable books and movies, a chapter all about colors, and information on caring for your clothes (which was helpful, but I'm not going to care for all my clothes at that high level, they're just not nice enough). Much of the information on care and cleaning could be found online or in other books. Lists of fabrics and patterns and their definitions have had better treatment in other books.

So, yeah, it was okay. I wouldn't say it was a waste of a few hours, but it didn't enlighten me either.

My Rating: C-

No comments:

Post a Comment