Monday, February 15, 2010

#7 - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
By: J.K. Rowling
Narrated by: Jim Dale
309 pages (9 hours)
Published: 1997
ISBN: 0807281956
My copy: Borrowed from library (own the book, of course)

What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said? I must have read the first volume in the Harry Potter series three or four times now, but it just keeps getting better every time I pick it up.

When I decided to re-read all the Harry Potter books this year as part of the Harry Potter Reading Challenge I thought it might be fun to hear all of them on audiobook. I was right. And I'd highly recommend it for anyone embarking on the books again. Jim Dale is perfect. I can't believe the number of voices he can keep straight in his head. I also tend to absorb a lot more detail when listening, whereas, when reading, I might be tempted to skip over a rather long descriptive passage. Audiobook is definitely a new and interesting way to experience the books.

Rowling is a masterful writer. Having read the entire series, I can't help but appreciate all the little details she throws in that come into play in later books, especially the last book in the series. Wandlore. The invisibility cloak. Gringott's. All tiny details that play a small part in forming not just an incredible first novel, but a truly magical series of stories.

If you haven't read these books yet, I feel sorry for you.

Rating: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment